The central theme of our work is the transparent, integrated usage of resources in open, heterogeneous, dynamic environments. The ultimate goal of this research is to build systems that optimally support users in achieving their goals without the need of human intervention. A user group we are particularly interested in are researchers. Many of our projects aim at supporting them in the management, integration and analysis of data. A special focus of our current work is on supporting biodiversity research.
In our research, we address a number of aspects of this big theme, including:
- We develop BExISv2, a data management platform for biodiversity research.
- We continue our work on semantic technologies to enhance data management and the integration of structured and unstructured data.
- We aim at personalisation and adaptivity of portals, including portals for research data.
- We work on user-friendly, transparent integration of heterogeneous devices including sensors and actuators.
Teaching, too, is centered around this theme. Topics include:
- Foundations of distributed systems
- (semantic) data and process integration
- service orientation
- mobile information systems
- management of scientific data.